Monday, April 25, 2016

Mother's Day Cards

Can you believe that Mother's Day is just around the corner?! It seems like it sprang up so quickly this year! I'm pretty excited because I learned yesterday that I was accepted into a juried local arts show. I hesitated to apply because my cards might not be considered "art" in the strictest terms, but I know how much hard work and sweat goes into each 4x6 inch piece and -gosh dangit- *I* think it's art! :) So when I got the acceptance letter I danced a little happy dance and felt validated. 


But then I thought... "Self, you're gonna need a whole bunch of cards."
And since it's right before Mother's Day, I thought I'd focus on those! 

love_shaker_card_with_sequins
 

My first card was a wee little shaker card that is heavily inspired by both RetroSketches current sketch & one of Keren's cards from the Winnie & Walter Rerun challenge (I don't have the Precious set, but I gave it a go with what I DO have.) 


I loved the way those gems and sequins peeked out from the shaker and I did my best to emulate it. 
I used the In a Word: Love Cutaway from Winnie & Walter and filled it with  Pretty Pink Posh's Springtime Sequins Mix. I wanted to define the cutout a little more so I added some faux stitching with a Fossilized Amber Distress Marker.

Winnie_Walter_Love_Shaker_card


I have to say that making Clean & Simple cards is a bit of a traumatic affair for me. My anxiety levels are at all time highs because I keep thinking that I'm going to leave a smudge in all the white space (as I did on my FIRST attempt at this card... sigh). 


So what did I do?! I made ANOTHER Clean and Simple card. haha! 

Embossing_on_vellum

This one was inspired by the current challenge over at Viva La Verve Sketches & Simon Says Stamp Monday - Show us your Metal - 
Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge Blog

I embossed some of the artsy flowers from Verve's Button Best stamp set and followed it up with a sentiment from the same set. To finish off the look, I used some enamel dots. 

embossed_elegant_mothers_day_card

OOOOOoooo shiny! 
I can tell you that this one was a bear to photograph! 

Thank you for popping by my blog! If you enjoyed these creations, be sure to give them a Pin! 


34 comments:

  1. Congrats on your acceptance - well deserved

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on being accepted for the art show, your cards ARE mini works of art!
    These Mother's day cards prove it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yep, those shiny cards never come easy...trying to capture the glimmer is a pain. But...so worth it! Both these cards are telling me you have a CAS entity lurking in your brain. Because...they're AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Becca, I hope you made a zillion of these because WOW! Guaranteed sell outs! LOVE the shaker; ADORE the shimmery florals! Works of art? Absolutely! Applauding your acceptance into this show; somebody knows talent when they see it!
    hugs~c

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just wonderful both!! Love so much the creative shaker and the metallic look of the second one! Both the cards are very sweet and pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. two wonderful CAS cards - you can do it!!! and congrats on the juried art show - you'll have to show us what you entered.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Two totally amazing cards and well done to you Becca for the art show xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOH, love shaker cards! This card would be perfect for anytime and great for valentines day! Your shiny shimmery mother's day card is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow!! Such pretty, pretty cards!! I love the second one with the PURPLE!! I am a bit obsessed as of late with this color. I like the shaker card too and how you created the stitching around the cut out. Congratulations on your juried show!! That is so cool!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well done - you are definitely a talented artist! Gorgeous cards!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on being accepted into that art show! You rocked those CAS cards! You show those people that art comes in all sizes!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Woo Hoo!!!! Congrats on getting into the Art Show! Well done and well deserved. You won't get any arguments from us; cards are most definitely art!! Love that shaker card!!! All moms will want to get that....or the pretty purple one! Can't wait to see what else you'll create for the show! Happy for you. Bev

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your cards are so gorgeous!! Congrats on getting into the art show!! Your cards will sell out!! Have a great evening!! Big hugs :)

    Lisa
    A Mermaid's Crafts

    ReplyDelete
  14. Big congrats on the art show! Love that sweet shaker and the fabulous shine on the second card!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congrats, Becca! Not that I'm particularly surprised. ;) Terrific cards!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Well hot diggity dog Becca, this is fabulous news!! I'm SO AHPPY for you. You've got this my friend and your cards are going to blow their minds. I LOVE both of these. Fun and playfulness on the first one and elegance on the second!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congrats Becca! Gorgeous cards!
    Loving the second one so much....it just so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  18. WOW - Becca these are amazing - love the stunning CAS look on these beautiful cards.
    Blessings
    Maxine

    ReplyDelete
  19. Congrats on getting in the art show. Your cards are beautiful. I love the pretty shaker card and the second card is stunning. I think you'll have a great show.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congrats Becca! SO much enegry goes into card-making! Has to be an art , right?! Both your cards are really pretty! The second one stole my heart- it is very elegant and purple! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Big congrats, Becca!!!! Both of these are simply wonderful!!!! You did great with the CAS look - I really like the colourful stripes at the bottom and the faux stitching!!!! The second card must be so beautiful IRL with all the shine - the purple and gold is such a stunning combination!!! Beautifully done!!!!
    Have a great day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Becca these are gorgeous! Too right they're art!! Fabulous shaker card designs, love those and that beautiful gold finish, is utterly fab on the last one. Hugs, Wends x

    ReplyDelete
  23. Congratulations on the art show. Your cards are definitely works of art. Fantastic shaker card designs. Creative Blessings, Tracy x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Both beautiful! Congrats on the art show! Of course you belong in it! Love the shakers! That one with the gems... awesome! And how gorgeous are those vellum flowers... so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I checked twice..as first one is far different from your card making style..you rocked it dear !Loved it and the second one is Beautiful..

    ReplyDelete
  26. Congrats Becca! Yes, your cards are definitely a work of art! They are all so pretty. Love the vibrant colours you used and the sketches.
    Have a wonderful day.
    Hugs,
    Lena
    Lena’s Creations

    ReplyDelete
  27. Both are adorable
    but my fav is the first one
    so CAS and so sweett with that shaker inside
    great cards as always Becca
    hugs
    Monika and see you around sweet lady

    ReplyDelete
  28. WOW!! What an honor!! congrats on your acceptance! Your creations are all so stunning! They have that WOW factor to them! :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Oh, these are darling! Love the little shaker and the gold embossed vellum flowers just make my heart go pitter patter! Thanks for joining us at Viva la Verve!

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your cards are awesome! I especially love the beautiful gold embossing. Thank you so much for sharing with us at Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge. :)

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wonderful cards, Becca! Love how you created a shaker card with the sketch! Thank you so much for playing along with us at Retro Sketches!

    ReplyDelete
  32. First congratulations! Second, both cards are lovely. I particularly like your take on Keren's shaker card. Thank you so very much for joining in on our Rerun Challenge. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  33. Congrats on the art show, and your cards will fly away! Gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete